Code Enforcement Division
The purpose of the Code Enforcement Division is to protect the public’s life, health, and welfare by enforcing the requirements of all developed properties in the City of Choctaw. The division inspects for:
- Dangerous buildings
- Inoperable vehicles
- Dumping of trash
- Overgrown and unkempt vegetation of 12" or higher
- Zoning violations
- Any other violation notices when necessary
Code Enforcement work includes the abatement of any violations to Federal, State and Local regulations.
Code Enforcement consists of several elements. It not only includes removal of high grass and weeds but includes and is not limited to regulations regarding:
- Accumulation of trash, deposit or accumulation of rubbish, tree limbs, brush, or other debris
- Vacant buildings, open structures, dilapidated buildings, or any other type of dangerous structure
- Inoperable vehicles and vehicle parts
- Mandatory use of trash services
- Trailers, RVs, and boats parked in front over 48 hours
- Obstructing drainage, stagnant water
The Code Enforcement Division works in conjunction with the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (ODEQ), the County Health Department, as well as other local and state departments, in enforcing the Health and Sanitation Codes.
The City of Choctaw implements a one-time "Notification." This allows the City to notify the property owner(s) of the violation(s) once every six months via certified mail. Once the property owner has been notified, the City has the right to enter the property and abate the violations of the Health and Sanitation Code during the next 6 months.
The notice informs the owner(s) that their property is in violation and informs the owner(s) that they are aware of the specific ordinance or code. Once notified the property owner is permitted a certain allotted time to bring the violation in compliance. If the violation is not abated properly, the City will perform the abatement and the property will be brought into compliance.
If the City performs the abatement, the property owner will be billed for the work performed, in addition to an administration fee.
Complaints, questions, or for information on City Health and Sanitation Code, contact the Code Compliance Officer at 405-390-2999.