WHEN THERE IS A BURN BAN
CLICK HERE to see if there is a county wide burn ban for Oklahoma County, which includes the City of Choctaw. As of 04/05/2022 there is not a burn ban.
Be extra vigilant when working with hazardous equipment and chemicals. Even a small spark can turn into a massive wildfire.
Under the Oklahoma statute, it is unlawful for any person to set fire to any forest, grass, range, crop, or other wildlands. It is also prohibited to build a campfire, bonfire, or to burn trash.
Anyone caught burning during a ban faces up to a $500 fine and a year in jail. If you see a fire or hazardous condition, please report them by contacting your local fire department or the Oklahoma Forestry Service, (405) 522-6158.
If a wildfire sparks, there are things you can do to help prevent it from spreading.
- Keep Grass Around Your Home Cut Short
- Keep Dried Leaves Or Cut Grass Around Your Home Picked Up
- Check Your Home's Gutters For Dried Debris
- Trim Dead Branches From Trees
- Keep All Matches, Lighters Or Fireworks Away From Kids
To keep you, your family and your home safe from grassfires:
- Teach Your Children About Fire Safety
- Plan Several Escape Routes From Your Home And Property
- Post Fire Emergency Telephone Numbers
- Talk With Your Neighbors About Wildfire Safety
- Be Aware Of Hazardous Weather And Fuel Conditions That Could Cause A Wildfire
Choctaw's Fire Department is dedicated to the safety and protection of the citizens of Choctaw and their property. Whether responding to a residential fire, working together to battle a wildfire, or providing first responder support to medical emergencies, the Choctaw Fire Department rises to meet the challenge and ensure the citizens of Choctaw are safe from harm.
We are currently looking for volunteers. Are you a resident who lives within City Limits and interested in being a Volunteer Firefighter? Contact the Fire Department at 405-390-8300 for more information or to apply.
If you do not have a smoke alarm, and need assistance in obtaining one, please call the Choctaw Fire Department at 405-390-8300.